Sunday 10 July 2016

Creative Colouring - Art Therapy for those with Alzheimer's

Art Therapy is becoming one of the most thoroughly documented alternative therapies for Alzheimer’s disease. It is evident that initiatives that help people with Alzheimer's get involved in creative activity obtains surprising results. 

Adult colouring books are popular for stress relief and can be found in craft shops or on Amazon.

I have found these colouring books fantastic for my mum who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's & Vascular Dementia in 2012.
My mum has always been very creative and although the Alzheimer's has taken much of her memory, her creativity has thankfully remained.
Just over 2 years ago I introduced arts & crafts into our daily routine and I have been amazed by how much they have improved my mum's quality of life.

My mum has many creative hobbies, I have posted about how we Make Paper Flowers and our Crafty Containers on my blog.
Creative Colouring is another of her favourite pastimes!
This is something she can do without assistance ... a hobby that she can literally take to bed with her when she's tired :)
She may have forgotten how to draw a picture on her own ... 
... but she has certainly not forgotten how to colour! 
Pencil crayons are a great medium for my mum to work with ... so clean and easy to use.
Water-colour crayons are especially interesting as a little water creates a beautiful effect!
Colouring books allow my mum to use colour to express her feelings and give her a sense of personal accomplishment.

Instead of keeping my mum's creations inside her colouring book we cut out her pictures to use on hand made cards!


We also frame my mum's colourings and display them on the wall ... constant reminders for her that she has created some beautiful pictures :)


Painting and colouring are common hobbies and are excellent ways to relax. 

For people with memory problems, art is much more than just a recreational pastime, art provides a unique way for them to express themselves.

For more photos and ideas please visit my facebook page

LIKE the page to keep up to date with all our projects!






No comments:

Post a Comment